Monday, April 26, 2010

My Little Butterfly




Here's a drawing I just did of Madeline in our hammock. But now I think it looks more like she's in a cocoon. And she is becoming a butterfly, so that's right.
She used to be just a baby. See? She couldn't walk, run, or play soccer at all. That was only seven years ago. Just a little sigh of time.
Now she sits in the hammock reading on her own! And plays soccer with her dad. Rides her bike around the neighborhood. Tells me what's what.

There's a beautiful song by Sweet Honey In the Rock

Your children are not your children
they are the sons and the daughters of life's longing for itself
they come through you but they are not from you
and though they are with you
they belong not to you...

She belongs to herself. And she's stretching her wings and will be stretching them for years to come. Preparing to fly. I hope I can be there for her in any way that helps. But in so many ways she's got to learn to fly on her own.

How do you see your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews? How can we be there for them without getting in the way on their road to becoming butterflies?

1 comment:

  1. Love your drawings!
    I discovered your blog and wondered if I can use one of your drawings on my soundcloud site. Check it out on http://soundcloud.com/groups/kabalevskys-op-39-orchexperiment
    If you don't like me using your drawings I will take them off immediately.
    Respectfully yours,

    ReplyDelete