Monday, May 3, 2010

Self-Portrait As A New Mom



How dishevelled I look! How worn out! Almost fading away, like the wicked witch at the end of the W of Oz. This drawing is dated April 2004. Madeline was one year and two months old.

When I was pregnant, so many parents said, "You'll never sleep again." Of course I thought they were exaggerating. Well, my daughter is now seven and she still often wakes me up at 6:25 with a loud, "There were aliens in my dream, mom!"
At least she's no longer nursing. And she's almost sleeping through the night.

I miss sleeping until 9 or even later sometimes. Such a foggy happy memory from the distant past.

So should I look forward to the teenage years when she'll sleep more? Or will I be lying in bed awake with other worries?

Parenting is quite an adventure, isn't it? What are you struggling with? How do you express your creativity around those issues?

1 comment:

  1. No offense, it doesn't look too good... It looks like she didn't sleep at all lol

    Anyway, nice blog!

    Laurie
    http://r.evie.ws/view-review/8-easy-steps-to-drawing-a-portrait

    ReplyDelete