Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Very Belated NaNoWriMo Report

Yes, I did NaNoWriMo this year.
No, I didn't NaNoWriMo.
Why am I being so self-contradictory?
Let me explain.
I did sign up for NaNoWriMo.
I did not write every single day (who wrote on Thanksgiving? Show of hands?)
I did write as often as I could.
I did upload a photo and record my word count.
I did not chat or forum.
I did attend one 'write-in.'
I did not write 50,000 words.
I did not write 40,000 words.
I did write 20,000 words.
So why do I feel so wimpy?
20,000 words is pretty good.
It is not the NaNoIdeal.
It is not enough to get the NaNo Medal of Honor, or whatever it is.
And I don't want to compare myself to friends with full-time jobs whose houses are cleaner than mine who DID write 50,000 words.
Before the deadline.
I really don't.
I do have a first (very short) manuscript I'm excited about.
I am thinking of it (as, I believe, John Green suggested) as a long outline of my novel.
I have barely worked on it since November.
I am consumed with holiday madness (but only in my dreams.)
I will finish this novel (I hope)
I did enjoy the challenge, even if I failed :(
I will miss saying NaNoWriMo.
I did just complete this self-portrait, showing how I feel
about not finishing NaNoWriMo (ambivalent?)
NaNoWriMo!
How are you feeling?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think you failed. I think you wrote 20,000 words, which is more than I wrote in November. Besides, it's better to enjoy Thanksgiving anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anglea. 20,000 words in one month is wonderful! And a long outline of your novel that you're excited about is also a wonderful accomplisment.
    I didn't quite make it through my rough draft (which had been my goal) but went from 20 to 40 chapters and "the end" is in sight. But I too am excited. Now I got to get back into the groove...Let's both do that! loved the self-portrait. Wish I could draw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure if my comment was saved or not...just wrote you a long congratulatory note on how far you'd come in one month and then hit post and got an error message. arrrgh! Anyway, you have a good outline under your belt and you're excited. that is good. Keep on-- if not in december, than come the new year we'll both get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with 20,000. The self portrait is great! How do those people keep their house clean? Let me know when you find out...

    ReplyDelete