Sunday, January 17, 2010

Here is the second in my self-portrait series. I thought it would be great to search through all my many sketchbooks and find my self-portraits and organize them so I could say, this is the first self-portrait I ever did, when I was four years old, this is the second self-portrait I ever did, when I was four and 1/8 years old, etc. That sure would have been great!

Unfortunately, even though I'm a hard worker, I'm also extremely lazy (you know what I'm talking about!) so while sitting at my computer and thinking---- yes, I really should organize those drawings.... I glanced down at my nearby bookshelf and saw this old sketchbook sticking out and Voila!


So, no, this is not the first one but it's from 1996, when I was 14 years younger than I am today and a wee bit thinner. It was the days of olde before I had my daughter, which was basically another lifetime (I see some of you moms (and dads!) nodding your heads)


Also done with rapidograph. This was not a very happy time in my life as I think you can see. I never actually noticed it before. I just thought it was a pretty cool drawing.


But looking at it now, I can see the dark cloud over my head. And that might be one of the great things about drawing and specifically about self-portraits. A way to make a visual journal of your life. The good with the bad. And I'm not going to say It's all good! because some of it is awful. But it's your life, so better pay attention.


So how about doing a self-portrait of your own self? I'd love to see it!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cool thought...that your self-portraits reveal something new about you that you didn't realize until you saw them later...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I think that's a great self portrait. I am not an aritst, though I wish I was.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't do a self-portrait with your talents! What I did, being more of a dood...er..Folk Artist, was to outline my hands, and then draw the energy that I saw within both. It surprised me.

    I love this charcoal...sweet young thang!

    ReplyDelete