Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Self-Portraits

My first drawings were of the rock stars on those great big cds they used to make (they were called albums back then)--Cat Stevens, Mick Jagger, Elvis Costello.

Later I got into self-portraits, which are still some of my favorite drawings. Whenever I find myself feeling foggy and confused, which is increasingly often, I go down to my studio (meaning, drawing table) and draw myself.

This is a new one. Drawn with a new rapidograph. I loved my rapidograph in high school and all through college but gave it up for my brushes, pencils and paints. Recently I bought one again. Feels a little technical, but okay.

I've always thought it would be way cool to have an exhibit of all my years of self-portraits--- from my teen years to my mature self. So maybe I'll start that exhibit right now. Right here. With this drawing from December 2009.

6 comments:

  1. That's amazing! It's really well drawn.

    ...but the slow person in me must ask: what's a rapidograph?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have explained that. It's a technical pen that some illustrators and I guess designers use--- a very rigid tip. Come over some time, Beth, and I'll show you my rapidograph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Looks like you've figured out how to post pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!
    You have been a big supporter/inspiration/ cheerleader for me in encouraging my writing project.
    You are also a very gifted editor/ reader.
    Of course, writing is your main focus but....
    would you consider editing/reading jobs on a part time basis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen, Are you offering me a job?
    thank you so much for your sweet comments! I'm so happy we can be there for each other--- cheering each other on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. rapidograph is a new word for me. I have a 12 year old who loves art (all types). She is really growing in her craft. (I'm jealous!). Is a rapidograph something I should get for her?

    (she loves all art, but drawing is her fave. she's also really into designing clothing and such)

    hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete